Parent Requests for Evaluation Procedures
Parent Request Procedures:
If you suspect your child has a disability and is need of special education services, please contact the school and express your concerns to the child's teacher and/or school administrator. If you have any questions regarding a special education evaluation and eligibility consideration, please contact the school administrator.
Parent Request Procedures:
- Parent makes a verbal or written request to the school, teacher, or administrator. Parent request is sent to the school administrator.
- The administrator and/or psychologist or other designee discusses the request with the parent. The parent input form and consent for vision and hearing screening forms are given to the parent to complete and return. The parent input form indicates a special education evaluation and eligibility consideration is being made by the parent and allows for the parent to provide input regarding their concerns. Parental rights are given and explained.
- Parent completes the parent input form and vision and hearing screening form and returns them to the administrator.
- Once the forms are received, the school completes vision and hearing screening if a current passed screening is not on file.
- Within 10 school days, the school district team reviews the request and all relevant information regarding the student to determine if the request for special education evaluation and eligibility consideration request is accepted or not accepted. If request is received over the summer, the request is reviewed once teachers return.
- If the request is accepted, a letter will be sent home or a meeting will be scheduled with the school team and parent to sign the parental consent for special education evaluation form, to review the evaluation instruments description, and to review parent rights. The evaluation will be completed within the 60 day timeline from date of received signed consent. An eligibility meeting will be held after the evaluation is complete. An IEP meeting must be held within 30 days of the eligibility meeting if the student is determined eligible for special education.
- If the request is not accepted, the administrator will contact the parent. A letter and prior written notice will be sent to the parent indicating the information reviewed and why the system is denying the request and other options the system may be recommending or offering along with a copy of parent rights.
- If the parent disagrees with the system's decision, the parent has the right to request a due process hearing.
Administrators and Teachers: Click here to refer to google drive parent request folder for forms.