Private and Home School Referrals
- If a child lives in Coweta County but attends a private school in another county and needs evaluation for special education and eligibility consideration, the district where the private school is located is responsible for child find - evaluation and eligibility and providing service plan services. Please contact the special education department of the district where the private school is located.
Child Find Procedures for Students attending a Private or Home School in Coweta County:
Child find applies to children with disabilities parentally-placed in private schools in Coweta County or home schools. They not entitled to a free appropriate public education (FAPE), but the district will provide services based on a proportionate share of federal funds.
- If a child is suspected of having a disability that is parentally placed in a private school or home school in Coweta County and needs evaluation for special education and eligibility consideration, please contact the special education department at 770-254-2800 for a referral packet.
- Once a request for an evaluation is received, the referral packet is mailed to the parent. Also Refer to Parent Requests for an Evaluation Procedures.
- Once the completed referral packet is received, the school district team reviews the request and all relevant information regarding the student to determine if the request for special education evaluation and eligibility consideration request is accepted or not accepted.
- If the request is accepted, a letter will be sent to the parent along with parental consent for special education evaluation form, evaluation instruments description, and parent rights. An evaluation will be completed within 60 days from the receipt of the signed consent to evaluate (for initial referrals only) and then an eligibility meeting held.
- If the student is eligible for special education services and consent for services signed, the IEP team will develop an IEP (if the student is a resident of Coweta County) and offer these services.
- If the parent chooses to enroll the child, the IEP team will implement the IEP services once the student is enrolled.
- If the parent chooses to continue the student’s placement in a private school, the the IEP will be will finalized but not implemented until the parent enrolls the student in Coweta Schools.
- A service plan will be offered in accordance with Coweta County's proportionate share services. Refer below to decisions regarding proportionate share services.
- If the request is not accepted, a letter and prior written notice will be sent to the parent indicating the information reviewed and why the system is denying the request and other options the system may be recommending or offering along with a copy of parent rights.
- If the parent disagrees with the system's decision, the parent has the right to request a due process hearing.
Procedures for students who attend private school in Coweta County but are not Coweta County residents:
- If the child does not live in Coweta County but attends a private school in Coweta County, the private and home school procedures above will be followed for the evaluation and eligibility.
- If it is determined a special education evaluation and eligibility consideration is accepted, the county will evaluate the child and the eligibility team will determine eligibility as indicated above.
- It is the responsibility of the parent to notify the eligibility status to the district of residence after the eligibility meeting. The district of residence is responsible for offering IEP services, not Coweta County Schools.
- If the student attending a private school in Coweta County is found eligible for speech and an IEP developed by the district residence, then a Service Plan can be developed for Coweta County speech services if available and only as indicated below in the proportionate share services.