In the early 1950’s, Newnan resident Mrs. Ruth Hill was approached about
donating land she owned for the construction of a new school. The neighborhood
had outgrown a nearby structure, Mount Sinai Baptist Church that served
children in first through fourth grades. Mt. Sinai was part of the
Newnan Public School System with four teachers on staff.
A seven room wooden structure was originally built on the
property donated by Mrs. Hill, located on Keith Street. With ten
teachers now on staff, the school became known as Ruth Hill School.
This facility soon became overcrowded and the original wooden
structure was replaced by the present brick building, completed
in 1956. Mrs. Hill passed away during construction, but the new
facility was named Ruth Hill School in her memory.
In the summer of 1987, the school underwent a major remodeling
effort that included air conditioning, new carpet and paint.
New bathrooms, office space, and a media center were added to
the facility, as well. In 1994, a fine arts building was also
erected on the growing campus.
During the 2005-2006 school year, Ruth Hill School experienced
a significant renovation project. A new classroom wing, cafeteria,
and office space were completed in addition to a new entrance and
parking lot. The remainder of the building received a major facelift
that included new lighting, flooring, and paint.
Since a redistricting in 1988-89, Ruth Hill has housed elementary
grades, kindergarten through fifth. Enrollment has remained
steady at slightly more than 450 students.
Red, Black, and White
Number of Students:
Between 450-500 students
Reaching High for Excellence and Success! (RHES)
To Empower All Students to be Successful and Competitive in Society
Soaring Towards Excellence!