Press Release - January 11, 2016
Coweta County Kindergarten registration held February 1 through April 3
Parents can register their children for 2017 Kindergarten classes in the Coweta County School System starting February 1.
Parents are encouraged to register their Kindergarten-age child during this period – February 1 through April 3 - since many will be enrolling for school for the first time and early registration avoids the rush of registering near the start of the new school year.
Kindergarten classes in Coweta County Elementary schools are open to all Coweta children who will be five years old by September 1.
Children who will be four years old by September 1 are eligible to apply for limited Pre-Kindergarten spots at the school they will attend in March. Children chosen for Pre-K classes in the school system’s 19 elementary schools will then be able to register following the early Kindergarten registration period.
New student registration is conducted at the school system’s Central Registration Center at 167 Werz Industrial Boulevard in Newnan (770-254-5551).
Parents register their child for school at the school system’s Registration Center, which is open Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. The Registration Center will be closed on Presidents Day (Monday, February 20) during the February 1-April 3 early registration period, but will be open during the rest of the holiday week.
Kindergartners new to the school system are the largest group of children enrolled each year in the school system. Early registration for those new students is held for the convenience of parents, and helps avoid delays or wait times as the new school year draws closer.
Enrolling a child for school is a three-step process:
Step 1: Complete an online pre-registration form, which can be found on the school system’s website at www.cowetaschools.net. Online pre-registration may be completed at home, or at kiosks available at the Werz Industrial Blvd. office.
Step 2: Call the Coweta County Schools Registration Center at 770-254-5551 to schedule a registration appointment.
Step 3: Gather the following required registration documents for your child’s appointment.
- Birth Certificate (for the student being enrolled) – A state-issued, certified copy is required (hospital certificates are not accepted).
- Social Security Card (for the student being enrolled)
- Proof of Residence – two (2) items from the following list are required for address verification:State ID or Drivers License – Must be current (not expired). Students may only be registered by a biological parent or legal guardian. Proof of custody or guardianship is required if the registering adult is not the birth parent.
- Mortgage documents or a security deed which indicates the location of the residence;
- Apartment or home lease or rent receipt indicating the current address;
- Current electrical bill or an approved application for electrical service showing the current address (please bring the entire bill, to show electrical service and address);
- Property tax records which indicate the location of the residence;
- Voter precinct identification card or other voter documentation indicating the current address.
- State ID or Drivers License – Must be current (not expired). Students may only be registered by a biological parent or legal guardian. Proof of custody or guardianship is required if the registering adult is not the birth parent.
- Immunization Certificate – Georgia Department of Human Resources (DHR) immunization certificate form 3231 or a signed 30-day waiver. For students new to Georgia, a 90-day waiver can be issued at the time of student registration.
- Hearing-Dental-Vision-Nutritional Certificate on Georgia Form 3300 or a signed 90-day waiver.
Immunization and Hearing-Dental-Vision certificates can be obtained from the Coweta County Health Department (770-254-7400), or from a family physician. Short-term waivers issued to students new to Georgia during registration will allow parents time to obtain the certificates, but students may be withdrawn if the certificates are not filed by the end of the waiver period.
Kindergarten registration is held for children who are not currently enrolled in a Coweta County school. Students who have been enrolled in a Coweta County School System Pre-Kindergarten class during the 2016-17 school year do not need to register again to enter Kindergarten.
Students must attend the school for which their home is districted. To find out what elementary school district serves an address, call the Coweta County School System Transportation Department at 770-254-2820.